tirsdag 16. mars 2010

Enter the Void




I saw Enter the Void in Paris last week and I thought it was just brilliant. Gaspar Noe takes you on a journey that really inspired me to take up meditation. From a feminist point of view I wasn't thrilled with the portrayal of women in the classic roles of "whore and Madonna" - moms and strippers, while the male characters on the other hand where very dynamic and complex. Then again, one shouldn't be too politically correct, so all in all I really loved the movie and would recommend everyone to see it for an out of body experience.


Manohla Dargis of The New York Times had this to say about "Enter the Void":
What largely distinguishes it, beyond the stunning cinematography, is that this is the work of an artist who’s trying to show us something we haven’t seen before, even while he liberally samples images and ideas from Stanley Kubrick and the entirety of American avant-garde cinema. The grungy milieu and calculated shocks might have been designed to make you flee — even while your attention is tethered to the camera — but, really, these aren’t the point. The point is the filmmaking.







"Lust for Life"
Nathaniel Brown and Paz de la Huerta
photographed by Nan Goldin
V, 59

4 kommentarer:

  1. I can't wait for this, Irreversible was epic and I have heard great things. It si actually pretty funny to read Gaspars films from a anti-women POV, as many people see them (specially I stand Alone and maybe also irreversible..). This is how he sees it:

    Noé has been asked if his film, in which the butcher expounds on the evils of women, homosexuals, blacks, Arabs, and the French with equal venom, is racist. His reply was in the affirmative: “Yes, it's an anti-French movie”

    Noé's goal in making the film was to create a film so confrontational and so in opposition with contemporary French cinema that it would be universally despised – a film to “dishonor France”, not women.

    SvarSlett
  2. Interesting point of view, still I dont see how the movies female caracters are in any way in opposition to french cinema, f.eks "And God Created Woman" with Birgit Bardot is the example of the "lola" caracter, a cliche much used in french cinema, and also in Enter the Void in the caracter of Linda.

    but as mentioned, loved the movie and the performances in it.

    SvarSlett
  3. hmm I probably agree with you, I couldn't speak for ITV as I have not seen it, but I feel that at least I Stand Alone is a pretty good example of it. French cinema is founded on cliches! ahh thos beautiful cliches. Lets hope they put up ITV on the bigscreen here...

    SvarSlett
  4. I know!! :) lets cross our fingers for that, I think I saw Irreversible on big screen in Norway right? or was it a film festival..

    SvarSlett