mandag 7. juni 2010

Jessica Watson- the youngest person to solo sail the world.


For a couple of weeks ago 16 year old Jessica Watson was the youngest person to sail around the world non stop and un-assisted! She completed the voyage in 8 months.

The Los Angeles Times reported Watson's reason for her journey: "I wanted to challenge myself and achieve something to be proud of. And yes, I wanted to inspire people. I hated being judged by my appearance and other people's expectations of what a 'little girl' was capable of. It's no longer just my dream or voyage. Every milestone out here isn't just my achievement, but an achievement for everyone who has put so much time and effort into helping getting me here."

the World Speed Sailing Record Council (WSSRC) did not recognise record attempts by sailors under the age of 18.

After the journey she has begun a relationship with Michael Perham, the previous youngest circumnavigator. They met during a stop he made in Australia during his circumnavigation, and they have had several phone conversations during her journey.

Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar